Saturday, June 22, 2013

Bag Holding And What It Says About You

Happy Weekend!

Do you guys have favorite websites to visit whenever you're surfing the internet?
One of my absolute favorite websites has got to be www.refinery29.com -- they have THE most interesting articles, I always look forward to receiving their emails. :)

They published an article way back in January about bag holding techniques and what they mean, and I just wanted to share it with you guys, it'll be a fun read! :)

What Your Bag-Holding Technique Says About You
(Read the Refinery 29 article here.)


1. THE SCHLEPPER - You've got two, three, four... five bags to worry about, so you've got a "wherever fits" strategy going on. "You're fatigued, exhausted, and in a rush -- the bags suggest you're a little spaced-out and have a hard time being present."

Lauren Conrad

Lauren does look fatigued, exhausted, and in a rush!

2. THE ARM-CROOK HOOK - Favorites of paparazzi-chased celebs, this limp-handed style just screams power.
"You're wearing the bag as if it's a badge of honor or an award. You feel as if you've got a sense of superiority."

Miranda Kerr

Miranda Kerr is definitely always chased by paparazzi...

3. THE HANDS-FREE - "The girl who wears a hands-free bag willingly covers up her silhouette and outfit.
It's useful, but it also shows you're slightly dorky... see this a lot with young women."

Jessica Alba

I don't know if Jessica Alba is slightly dorky in real life, but hey, she's a gorgeous mama!

4. THE TWOFER - Usually done with a coy smile and a leg cross, the two-handed twofer clutch denotes a shy, defensive person. "This creates a fig leaf position as if you were protecting your goods. If you find yourself doing this on a date, it's because you feel weird about where it's going."

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge

This is the Duchess of Cambridge's go-to bag holding technique!

5. THE BAGUETTE - A recent favorite of street style stars, the baguette style is a scoop-up, on-the-go method.
"It's a utilitarian look, and you don't really care about the bag but rather what's in it. You're goal-oriented."

Jennifer Aniston

Jennifer Aniston is definitely a street style star!

6. THE THIRD ARM DRAPE - This move usually involves a bag with a long strap... but instead of crossing it over, you choose to wear it over your shoulder. And since that baby's prone to slipping around, Patti says it shows a lack of awareness. "It says, 'I don't have power over my world'."

Hilary Duff

I think Hilary looks great balancing her bag and her adorable baby boy, Luca!

7. THE ARMPIT VICE - Clutches are hard to hold, we know, but this move keeps your bag in place while leaving your hands free. "There's an awkwardness about it, and I see it happen a lot with women who are carrying a purse that doesn't fit her body."

Jennifer Lopez

Yeah, it does seem like Jennifer Lopez is having a hard time with that clutch...

8. THE BRIEFCASE - There's a certain type of woman who chooses to forgo the shoulder strap for the top handle. "She's in business mode. She's going fast and her bag has a lot of weight -- she cares less about her appearance, and more about where she's off to."

Angelina Jolie

I think that pretty much describes Angelina Jolie... except she doesn't really have to care a lot about her appearance -- she's gorgeous and she knows it!

9. THE THUMB-TO-'PIT - There's a reason this move's associated with Carrie from Sex and the City. "I see women in cosmopolitan cities doing this. They remember their mamas telling them to protect their bags... they don't want to get them pulled off while they're walking! They're street-smart."

Anne Hathaway as Andy Sachs in The Devil Wears Prada

Andy definitely became street-smart as the movie progressed!

10. THE "I'VE GOT A BAG BITCH" - You've got better things to do than to hold a bag. For some, that's what assistants and boyfriends are for. "When people feel the need to look fabulous all the time, they can't be encumbered with anything."

Beyoncé

Who else would have a bag bitch other than Beyoncé?!
Look, there's literally someone behind her carrying her bag!

Some descriptions may be spot-on and some are not, but it's so interesting, right?!

My bag-holding techniques are #s 2, 3, 6, and 9... depending on the bag.

What about you -- What's your bag holding technique?
Do these descriptions describe you or someone you know?

I hope you are all having a great start to summer! :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like What Mimi Writes on Facebook and be friends with Mimi! :)
Twitter? WhatMimiWrites Instagram? whatmimiwrites :)

34 comments:

  1. This post is super fun to read! I think definitely most of these are spot-on. I'm guilty of #2, #3, #6, and #8. ;)

    - B
    http://vivalabreee.blogspot.com/
    TWEET | ADD | LIKE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, yay, i'm glad you had fun reading it, bree! :D

      Delete
  2. lol I LOVE THIS POST!! it's so true! i'm guilty of several depending on the bag but I usually stay hands free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, i'm so happy you loved it! and yup, same here, it really comes down to the kind of bag i'm using. :)

      Delete
  3. ohhh I do multiple styles, but the arm to pit sounds like me!

    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, it's cool that you found one that sounds like you! :)

      Delete
  4. #1 and 9 over here f'sho! This was a fun article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post Mimi! I loved it!
    I'm definetlety the thumb to pit girl, but occasionally I like being hands free.

    (^з^)-☆ Dizzy
    Death-By-Dizziness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGGGGGGGGGGG i love this post!! i LOL'd my way through this post hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! i'm so glad you loved it, lisa! :D

      Delete
  7. I am almost always crook of the arm or thumb to armpit. I love this post. It was a very fun read.

    Tracy @ www.sunnydaystarrynight.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun is this! I am crook of arm and thumb to armpit if it is heavy!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  9. such an interesting article! I never paid attention to this until now, mine is #6 and #9, yes, depends on the bag! the #10 is the most fabulous of them all hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! I laughed at some of the description. I hold my bag many ways, lol! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely an ARM-CROOK HOOK person. Haha, great post! I really enjoyed reading it.

    PS: It's giveaway time on my blog! Hope you join: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/06/angelorian-tradition-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mimi, I love this post! I'm totally an arm-crook hook girl and I don't think I ever be #10. Lol. Thanks for sharing.

    xo Jo

    http://www.whiterosesandcoffee.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jo! i'm really happy you loved it! and haha, same here, although it's fab, i don't think i'm ever gonna be #10. :)

      Delete
  13. I'm 100% a Schlepper! Cute post Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg, this is such a fun post!!! The way I carry my purse definitely depends on what kind of bag I have the day. But I think I'm 50/50 on the arm-crook hook and the third arm drape. :D

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was an awesome post!! Love seeing that we are a little bit of all of them! And loved that you added celebs so we could see what they do too!! So fun!

    Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, guys! i'm happy you loved it! :D

      Delete
  16. when i'm in school, i'm totally number 1! LOL.

    --Olivia :)

    ReplyDelete