Monday, July 1, 2013

Hair Talk: Haircolor

Today is starting out to be a productive day for me... I woke up early, did some chores around the house, exercised, started reading a new book, replied to emails, and now I am working on my blog -- I told ya, productive, haha! ;)

I've been meaning to publish this post for a while now... I know a lot of us color our hair for different reasons -- maybe we want to try a new look or maybe we like ourselves better as a brunette, blonde, or as a redhead.
No matter the reason, here are 10 Rules for Perfect Haircolor:
(Article from Lucky Magazine)

(Click to enlarge)

1. The sun fades haircolor.
2. Don't forget your brows.
3. Don't over-highlight.
4. Do deep treatments weekly (but no more than that).
5. Shampoo less.
6. Go opposite your skin tone.
7. Watch the bleach.
8. Address roots and ends separately.
9. Take a cold shower for shine.
10. Get creative to disguise roots.

It's great to keep these tips in mind because after all, our hair is our crowning glory. ;)

This then brings me to my question:
How do you approach hair coloring?
Do you go to the salon or do you take advantage of the many at-home coloring kits available to us?

Since I am turning 23 years old (on Thursday, eeeek!), I am seriously considering starting my search for my very own hairstylist like most adults do... Do you guys have any suggestions on where I should start?

While my hairstylist search is underway, I wanted to share with you guys my favorite at-home coloring kit:

Garnier HerbaShine Color Creme with Bamboo Extract:


The only haircolor with Bamboo extract. Fortified color. Certified brilliant. 

 Introducing Garnier Herbashine, the only haircolor product with Bamboo extract. Herbashine improves the condition of hair by fortifying the hair cuticle while wrapping it in radiant, shiny color. Hair looks and feels stronger for radiant color that's truly shiny and luminous. Designed like a beauty elixir, its luscious cream texture is both rich and silky. Easy to apply, it provides a sensation of intense care and comfort during coloring. Thanks to a perfect balance of the formula components, the results are quick - Herbashine works in just 10 minutes. The color is radiant and shiny and grays are covered naturally.


If you are looking for an at-home coloring kit, I suggest you go for Garnier.

It is ammonia-free -- it smells great, not like other hair dyes.
It leaves your hair shiny, soft, and smooth.
They also include fairly good quality gloves and a substantial amount of conditioner.

The price depends on where you buy it, but you will spend nothing more than $10.

What do you guys think -- Do you dye your own hair?
Have you used Garnier hair dye before? Do you have a favorite hair dye brand?

I hope you are all having a wonderful start to July! :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firmoo Giveaway: Join here.
OASAP Giveaway: Join here.
Ends July 3rd and July 4th, respectively.
Both open internationally.

Like What Mimi Writes on Facebook and be friends with Mimi! :)
Twitter? WhatMimiWrites Instagram? whatmimiwrites :)

33 comments:

  1. I want toee the results dear
    xoxo

    NEW OUTFIT POST!!!
    follow me on:
    The simple life of rich people blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't dyed my hair yet, but i'll share a pic once i do! :)

      Delete
  2. That's a really pretty hair color! I actually haven't dyed my hair at all, but I might give it a shot soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have..and do. i love going shades of red but they fade so fast (and always look like someone was stabbed in my shower)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yeah, i know what you mean about the shower part! ;)

      Delete
  4. I have never tried coloring my hair, but this sounds like a great product.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually sometimes wonder what my hair would look like if i never dyed it, haha. ;)

      Delete
  5. I did a really bad at-home hair dye job when I was in 8th grade and I kinda got traumatized by it. I guess tho now's the time to give it another try. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww! i wish you luck on your next try!!! :D

      Delete
  6. I have never tried it myself but it sounds like a fantastic product. Have a beautiful day, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you are having a beautiful day, diana! :D

      Delete
  7. Great post! Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you're having a great week :)

    xo, tasha
    twenty-something blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, natasha! i hope you are having a great week too! :D

      Delete
  8. I use Garnier too! And L'Oreal is also a good brand. Sometimes I visit the salon, but it can get pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, my sister said it can get pricey. but she also said it's worth it. ;)

      Delete
  9. Oh man I haven't dyed my hair in years. Maybe I need a change in hair color? If I do I'll definitely check Garnier! Heard so many good things.
    And Mimi your b-day is on the forth! How fun!

    (^з^)-☆ Dizzy
    Death-By-Dizziness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yup, it's on the fourth! ;)
      p.s. let me know if you dye your hair again!

      Delete
    2. Happy Brithday Mimi!
      And I'll be sure to let you know (^ ^)

      Delete
  10. The first time I dyed my hair, I was 14 i think. Now, I try not to dye it as much anymore. Sticking to my old roots. Haha.

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! I didn't highlight/dye my hair until I was 22. Now I get highlights about every 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh, i kinda want to get highlights too! :)

      Delete
  12. my mom uses loreal hair dyes but i will tell her about this one, it seems better :)

    xoxo
    Sam,
    http://tboruth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. l'oreal is good too, but i kinda lean more towards garnier. :)

      Delete
  13. coloring and cut are my two big splurges!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting article, but I don't know about #6. I like how I look with dark hair, but I was thinking of going lighter this summer. Hmmm.

    - B
    http://vivalabreee.blogspot.com/
    TWEET | ADD | LIKE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you should definitely go light this summer if that's what you want. go for it! ;D

      Delete