Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Take Care Of Your Hair! :D

Happy Wednesday!

I know it's already cold in some parts of the world (except here, grrrrr!), so it's really perfect timing that Cherrie sent me this post to share with you guys: it's all about taking care of our hair during the winter season! :)

Take care of your hair this winter

Have you ever noticed that your locks lose a little of their lustre in the winter months? That’s because when the temperatures start to drop, your hair is exposed to some pretty harsh elements—blistering temperatures, gushing winds, and freezing precipitation. Keep your hair healthy this winter by following these haircare tips:

1) Make conditioning a priority.

conditioning treatment for dry hair

Conditioning is always recommended, but it takes on a special sense of importance during the winter months, when moisture is sucked from your hair. Use a creamy, water-based conditioner packed with plenty of protein twice weekly to help replenish your hair with essential nutrients. Use leave-in conditioner in-between conditionings for an added boost.

2) Do hot oil treatments regularly.

#DIY hot oil #treatment - with all the humidity in the air, it seems like a great time to try this

If your hair is especially damaged and dull during the winter months, try performing regular hot oil treatments on it. These treatments help to repair damages by loading up your locks with essential oils. The easiest way is to buy a do-it-yourself kit, heat up the tube of oil for about a minute, and then massage the oil into wet hair. Leave the oil in for a few minutes to work its magic before proceeding with your normal shower routine.

3) Cut back on the colour.

hair dye

Colour fanatics beware: winter is the worst season for dying your hair—or really having any chemical process done, for that matter. Chemical processes strip your hair of its moisture, causing your locks to look limp. If you’re really set on changing up your colour, opt for a semi-permanent dye and use special conditioner and shampoo for colour-treated hair to help remoisturise your locks.

4) Hold off on the heat.



As much as we all love the convenience of blow dryers and straightening and curling irons, it’s best to keep them shelved in winter: the added heat is a nightmare for your hair. Try to let your hair air dry as much as possible, using a good Frizz Ease serum to cut down on frizz. If you must turn on your hair care appliances, apply a heat conditioner to your hair before styling to help protect your tresses.

5) Protect yourself from the elements.

Woman with long, wet hair

One of the worst mistakes you can make in the winter months is to go outside with wet hair. Your locks are more likely to damage and break when exposed to the blistery air—and you’ll increase your risk of falling ill! For these reasons, make sure your hair is completely dry before heading outside.

Head scarf style

Another thing you can do to protect against the elements is to cover your locks. Wear a loose fitting cap or tie a silk scarf around your head to keep your hair healthy.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this post! Thanks again to Cherrie for sharing these really useful tips with us! :)

Do you guys have any more hair care tips to add to this list?
Which of these tips most particularly apply to you?

I hope you are all having a fantastic week! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I have two giveaways for you guys right now! Please do enter if you haven't already. :)
Open to United States residents only. Ends 11/18.
Open internationally. Ends 11/25.

Like What Mimi Writes on Facebook and be friends with Mimi! :)
Twitter? WhatMimiWrites :)

40 comments:

  1. thank you so much for your comments mimi!
    you are so sweet :)
    hope to hear from you again soon!
    ps thanks for sharing this post about how to take care of hair!!!

    happyleeliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tips are really helpful! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, they really are! you're welcome, btw! :D

      Delete
  3. hold off on the heat..... omg tell me about it! i curl my hair way too much =X

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post :) I love doing hair treatments in winter, it's great to pamper yourself when it's cold outside :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome post, i didn't know a lot of this, and will definitely be using some of these tips! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always try super hard to condition my hair during winder because it can get so dry! Thanks for these great tips! :)

    Sarah x
    sarahloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tips! really need to try hot oil treatments! thanks for sharing :D

    check out my blog?

    http://monster-diaries.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips. My deep conditioning time is coming up this weekend, yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips :) I'll defientely be using them!! I recently strated using oil and it does help alot when facing the elements.

    ngofficial.blogspot.co.uk

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think these tips will be applicable all year round ^-^

    Liz
    chewylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these tips! I use hair mask once a month to give my hair the extra "shine".

    xo Jo

    http://www.whiterosesandcoffee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did a series last year or the year before on this. Great tips

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are very helpful tips. I must start doing hot oil treatments soon. those things really work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup! and same here, i gotta start doing hot oil treatments. :D

      Delete
  14. This is a great list! I have to start doing oil treatments more. I love just applying olive oil and a heated towel and letting it sit. It makes my hair feel so good!

    PS - Check out my Michael Kors Giveaway!
    http://www.glossyblonde.com/2012/11/michael-kors-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You posted this at the perfect time for me! My hair has been so frizzy and unmanageable ever since it started getting cold. And I definitely am guilty of going out with my hair still wet - oops!

    -Ashley
    http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay, i'm glad to hear that this was posted at the perfect time! i'm happy to help! :D

      Delete
  16. Totally agree with you doll! lovely post!
    kisses from Miami!
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that hair scarf idea, never tried it myself though :p
    not sure if I can pull that off lol ><

    lucky you, I'm not a huge fan of the cold weather ><
    I love snow but it's already pretty cold where I live.
    My hair gets extremely frizzy and dry during the winter.
    I've never tried oil treatments, but I might try this winter :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love that idea too, but i've never tried it either, haha! ;)
      btw, it finally started getting cold here in los angeles, but i know it's totally nothing compared to how cold it is there. ;)

      Delete
  18. I stopped dyeing my hair a long time ago and it really makes a difference! :]

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am guilty of leaving the house with wet hair especially when I'm in a hurry. I should change that habit though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome tips! I'll make sure to apply them to myself.
    Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete